Pediatric Chiropractic Care
Whether you are a newborn or 100 years old, Chiropractic can work for you! Most people don’t realize how traumatic the birth process can be on the newborn infant. Here are a few common reasons why newborns need to have their spine checked starting from day 1!
• They are cooped up in a small space for approximately 9 months. Being in the mothers womb we are usually in the fetal position or a kyphotic spinal posture.
• Congenital muscular and infant torticollis is when the newborn experiences a severe head tilt to one side due to over contracture of the sterno-cleido-mastoid muscle, otherwise known as the SCM muscle. The SCM muscle will rotate the head in the opposite direction and laterally bend to the same side. Typically the newborn will have the head tilted in an extreme manner and may be unable to turn the head at all.
• Vacuum extraction injury, forceps injuries, and or improper, forceful pulling by the physician during delivery. This can cause Erb’s palsy or Erb–Duchenne palsy, which is a paralysis of the arm caused by injury to the upper group of the arm’s main nerves, specifically the C5-C6 nerve roots.
• Spine misalignment while in utero.
• Abnormal birth presentation, such as the breech position.
• Acute and Chronic ear infections are helped by upper cervical chiropractic adjustments.
• Colic, re-flux, and constipation can be signs of subluxations or misalignments in the spine. After getting adjusted the babies body usually respond within a few days, sometimes even just hours after their adjustments. Other times the kids bodies require a series of adjustments to help alleviate their symptoms.
If you’ve had your newborn, toddler, or kids adjusted please comment, link, and share your experience!